Afraid that we will not be able to open them, we buy ready-made shavings or coconut flesh. Meanwhile, getting inside the coconut does not have to be difficult. How to open a coconut?
Coconut – nutrients and properties
Coconut, commonly known as coconut, is the fruit of a coconut palm. It is a rich source of minerals: potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and sodium. It should be eaten by people who are exposed to stress for a long time. The magnesium content also prevents cramps. Coconut has a beneficial effect on beauty: strengthens hair, nails and moisturizes the skin. Coconut pulp is unfortunately quite caloric – it contains 354 calories in 100 grams. A glass of coconut water is 58 calories.
Young vs mature
Coconuts growing in their natural environment are green to orange. Under the outer skin there is a white flesh and a large amount of fluid. Coconuts, which we know are very ripe, and their outer layer is simply woody. Young coconuts have a much softer and more watery center with plenty of water.
How to peel a coconut – a step by step instruction
Before you buy a coconut, shake it – if you hear a splash, it’s a sign that the fruit is fresh.
- Find three cavities on the coconut. One of them is always softer than the other.
- Make a hole in one of them with a long, sharp knife or corkscrew.
- Pour water from the coconut to the salad bowl (coconut water hydrates the body and replenishes electrolyte deficiencies).
- With a blunt side of the knife, hit the fruit until the crust breaks or use a hammer – hit the coconut around its diameter. Another way is to heat the coconut in the oven for 30 minutes at about 120 degrees Celsius – the shell will split by itself or it will be much less resistant to impact.
- Detach the flesh from the crust.
- Use a peeler to get rid of brown skin.
- Cut the pulp into any pieces.
Hammer and knife
Before opening the coconut, cut a hole with a knife to get into the juice. Make a hole and pour the juice into a glass. To get to the pulp, tap the coconut with a hammer around its short axis. At some point, the shell will begin to crack and the coconut will break in two. Now you can choose the pulp from the center of the nut. For those who are looking for an easier way to choose the pulp we suggest: take half a coconut, turn it over with the shell and knock with a hammer.
Start by poking the eye and pouring the juice from inside the coconut. Then put the coconut in the preheated oven to 200 C. Leave it in the oven for 15 minutes. After this time, carefully remove the coconut from the oven, take care that the remains of hot juice do not burn you. After removing the coconut, you will certainly notice that the shell has become loose. With a hammer, knock the fruit around, the shell should divide into two or three parts revealing the intact interior of the nut.
Put the coconut in the freezer for 12 hours. Because the nut is frozen, it will be really hard to remove the loot. This method will take a little longer than others, but the results will be satisfactory. After removing the coconut from the freezer, use a hammer to knock it around its short axis. This time we tap the nut below and above the axis cutting the coconut in half. After a while, the shell will crack reveal the entire interior intact.